abstract engineer blogspot

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 7 June 2012

Engineers don't know anything.

Posted on 14:02 by hony
This article had me until the very last paragraph:
But for Evans, it’s clearly just the first step. Already, he’s set his sights on bigger targets. Next on his to-do list is to equip the hulls of ocean tankers, a major source of global pollution, with pods. Already he’s been told it can’t be done. The design of hulls, he was informed, can’t be improved. Naturally it was an engineer, he said, who told him.
Naturally. What do engineers know, anyway? The portrayal of engineers as a class of technocrats trying to marginalize the lone inventor is a trope I could do with a lot less of. If Evans had asked an engineer whether his "vortex stabilizers" worked, they might have responded "you mean like the ones that come on the 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and have been extensively reported/tested before? Or the ones that have been on airplances since World War II?"

The reason, Mr. Evans, that engineers go to college for several years is to learn what as already been done so we don't make fools of ourselves later on when we "invent" decades old technology.


_
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • 5 Years
    Five years ago tomorrow I started this blog. I was working at a job I didn't particularly like nor found mentally fulfilling, and the bl...
  • TAE's DIY Iron Man Arc Reactor
    So I got the itch to create. With Halloween coming up, and the Iron Man 2 DVD release last week, I felt compelled to finally get off my hind...
  • Innovation and Harry Potter
    Surely J.K. Rowling didn't realize she was an innovator when she imagined the magic portraits of Harry Potter's universe. But nevert...
  • More on Modeling the Human Brain with Computers
    I was pleased (humbled?) to get a polite and not-angry response from Timothy B. Lee in regards to his dissent that we can model the human br...
  • I should read this post to myself every day.
    Father Forgets, by Livingston Larned Listen, son: I am saying this as you lie asleep, one little paw crumpled under your cheek and the blond...
  • TAE's DIY Arduino Sous Vide Cooker - Part III: The Schematic
    Alright, there's not really an easy way for me to do this because my skills at drawing schematics are incredibly terrible, so in this ca...
  • That Sarcos Iron Man Suit We Never Hear About Anymore
    An update  on the Sarcos Exoskeleton I mentioned : "With a tethered power source, you could likely see [the exoskeleton deployed] withi...
  • Hack The Body
    I have a short lunch today so I must be brief, but I wanted to point to these two articles, both published today: Monkey controls robot hand...
  • A Failed Take-Down of Robin Hanson
    If you ever disagree with someone on a subject , and want to write a counterargument, the first thing you should do is argue semantics. Or a...
  • Don't Tread On Me
    By Brian Knapp I collect souvenirs. No, I don’t hop from location to location, sacking each gift shop in each respective airport. Instead, I...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (41)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (8)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2012 (91)
    • ►  December (8)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ▼  June (10)
      • Shameless Plug
      • The Oatmeal Bait
      • Reactionary
      • hey, The Oatmeal
      • 35 Years In Process
      • Armstrong's Razor, Ctd
      • Armstrong's Razor
      • ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!
      • Engineers don't know anything.
      • Repost
    • ►  May (12)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (9)
    • ►  February (10)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (205)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (18)
    • ►  August (18)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (32)
    • ►  March (24)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (26)
  • ►  2010 (163)
    • ►  December (20)
    • ►  November (20)
    • ►  October (23)
    • ►  September (28)
    • ►  August (28)
    • ►  July (29)
    • ►  June (15)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

hony
View my complete profile